Micah Elliot Halter - a developer, researcher, and bartender
micah [--student] [--employee] [--admin systems| databases] [--developer] [--researcher]
I have been interested in computer science since I was six years old, and have built up an unmatched passion for the field. I have extensive experience in software development and research from internships, projects, and competitions. I graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with a focus in system architecture and theory, and am working as a Researcher at the Georgia Tech Research Institute.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - Georgia Institute of Technology - May 2019
* Concentration in system architecture and theory * Dean’s List Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2016, Fall 2018, Spring 2019
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - Hong Kong University of Science and Technology - Dec 2017
* Studied abroad
Georgia Tech Research Institute - Research Engineer - Jan 2016-Present
* Developing and implementing a new methodology to programmatically represent and manipulate models at the semantic level * Wrote and published conference and journal papers to communicate research findings to the greater research community * Using NetFlow data and machine learning to detect possibly compromised machines on a network * Developed a machine learning based crime forecasting system using past crime and geographical data
Kindred Spirits Atlanta, LLC - Co-Owner and Bartender - Dec 2018-Present
* Cater events with bartending and mixology services * Create curated cocktail menus for events with innovative and complex recipes to meet the needs of all event attendees * Engage with curstomers and provide outstanding service to build customer relations and increase company value * Maintain and file all necessary legal documents to ensure legitimacy of the business
The Boeing Company - IT Intern - May 2017-Aug 2017
* Developed a security auditing tool suite for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 * Developed a web-based data visualization tool * Developed several system administration scripts as needed by team members
The Boeing Company - IT Intern - May 2016-Aug 2016
* Documented and executed an upgrade plan for the company’s identity management servers * Developed an Outlook-integrated conference room mapping tool * Designed and began development of a web-based Kanban board tool
Through work opportunities and personal projects, I have had extensive experience with the configuration, hardening, and maintenance of various Linux distributions, including:
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux * Debian, Ubuntu * Arch Linux
Through my work experiences I have become skilled in many database languages including MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, and SQL Server. These experiences range from designing a full database schema, administrating and managing an existing database, and writing queries to parse through the data.
I have worked on several development projects in both work environments and personally using a plethora of different programming languages and paradigms
While working at the Georgia Tech Research Institute, I have found that I love being involved with research projects. I enjoy taking charge of open ended questions and exploring new methods and ways of tackling tough problems.
SemanticModels.jl - https://github.com/jpfairbanks/SemanticModels.jl
* Researching and developing a novel methodology to programmatically represent and manipulate scientific models at the semantic level * Actively contribute and maintain this open source project coming out of the Georgia Tech Research Institute sponsored by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Linux Configuration - https://git.mehalter.com/mehalter/dotfiles
* Configured and maintain a minimal Linux installation to meet my development needs * Developed many custom scripts to optimize my workflow
Outside of the field of computer science I have many hobbies and passions including Ultimate Frisbee, coffee, and music.
At Georgia Tech and the greater Atlanta area, I am a very active member of the Ultimate Frisbee community. This includes playing on multiple competitive teams throughout the years and competing in tournaments nationally and globally.
I have been an avid coffee enthusiast for several years, frequenting many coffee shops, getting to know local coffee roasters and baristas, and hand brewing my own craft coffee.
Growing up I was very involved with band and played many instruments including piano and flute. Nowadays I don’t play very often, but love to attend concerts and live music events.
Phone: +1 704 490 9840
GPG: 532C 083C 2D6A 4752 46F1 8639 E10C 6AE7 BF5B 1D1F