Micah Elliot Halter - a developer, researcher, and bartender
micah [--student] [--employee] [--admin systems| databases] [--developer] [--researcher]
I have been interested in computer science since I was six years old, and have built up an unmatched passion for the field. I have extensive experience in software development and research from internships, projects, and competitions. I graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science with a focus in system architecture and theory, and am working as a Researcher at the Georgia Tech Research Institute.
Master of Science in Computer Science - Georgia Institute of Technology - Dec 2021
* Specialization in Machine Learning
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - Georgia Institute of Technology - May 2019
* Concentration in system architecture and theory * Dean’s List Fall 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2016, Fall 2018, Spring 2019
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - Hong Kong University of Science and Technology - Dec 2017
* Studied abroad
Balena - Backend Engineer - Feb 2021-Present
* Develop backend code for the Balena ecosystem * More details to come…
Georgia Tech Research Institute - Research Scientist - Jun 2019-Feb 2021
* Lead contributor to research projects sponsored by large entities DARPA, NIH, DOD, and ONR * Wrote and published peer reviewed conference and journal papers to communicate research findings to the greater research community * Contributed and participated in white paper and proposal writing to bring in more funding for new and on-going projects * Delivered applied research projects to sponsors such as source code, web applications, and technical reports
Georgia Tech Research Institute - Undergraduate Research Assistant - Jan 2016-May 2019
* Lead contributor to research projects sponsored by large entities NIH and ONR * Wrote and published a peer reviewed journal paper to communicate research findings to the greater research community * Delivered applied research projects to sponsors such as source code, web applications, and technical reports * Predicting crimes in Portland, OR using temporal and geographic features derived from crime statistics and GIS data
The Boeing Company - Software Development Intern - May 2016-Aug 2017
Through work opportunities and personal projects, I have had extensive experience with the configuration, hardening, and maintenance of various Linux distributions, including:
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux * Debian, Ubuntu * Arch Linux
Through my work experiences I have become skilled in many database languages including MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, and SQL Server. These experiences range from designing a full database schema, administrating and managing an existing database, and writing queries to parse through the data.
I have worked on several development projects in both work environments and personally using a plethora of different programming languages and paradigms
While working at the Georgia Tech Research Institute, I have found that I love being involved with research projects. I enjoy taking charge of open ended questions and exploring new methods and ways of tackling tough problems.
AlgebraicJulia - https://github.com/AlgebraicJulia
* A GitHub Organization for a collection of Julia packages for defining modeling frameworks as generalized algebraic theories * Includes Julia packages such as Catlab.jl, AlgebraicPetri.jl, and AlgebraicRelations.jl * A category theory approach to defining metamodeling tasks for representing, composing, selecting, and tuning scientific models * Research funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
Petri.jl - https://github.com/mehalter/Petri.jl
* A stochastic petri net modeling framework for the Julia programming language * Allow petri nets to be compiled to Gillespie and differential equation based simulations
VirtualEnv.jl - https://github.com/mehalter/VirtualEnv.jl
* Self-contained virtual environments for the Julia programming language * A reimplementation of
venvfrom Python in Julia
* Research funded by the Office of Naval Research (ONR) * Developed a web application for viewing and analyzing sonar SAS data using Go, Python, and PostgresDB deployed with Docker and Drone.io * Engineered a database for managing scientific experiments to utilize the speed and efficiency of using a rigid relational database, while being flexible enough to handle the changing data requirements of scientific experimentation
Outside of the field of computer science I have many hobbies and passions including Ultimate Frisbee, coffee, and music.
At Georgia Tech and the greater Atlanta area, I am a very active member of the Ultimate Frisbee community. This includes playing on multiple competitive teams throughout the years and competing in tournaments nationally and globally.
I have been an avid coffee enthusiast for several years, frequenting many coffee shops, getting to know local coffee roasters and baristas, and hand brewing my own craft coffee.
Growing up I was very involved with band and played many instruments including piano and flute. Nowadays I don’t play very often, but love to attend concerts and live music events.
Phone: +1 704 490 9840
GPG: BEB8 056E 542A 33EB 8A4B 081F 723F 998E 98D9 3D50
GPG: 4AC9 4692 18E3 1BCE 147F 1060 E51C 3EA3 BEB5 D4A9
GPG: 4323 17EB 443E 7433 0ACC A2A0 8FCF 3800 ED2E B2C2